My Beach Bum Vacation: Part Deux

Around this time last year the two stooges and I decided that we would make our vacation to Gokarna a recurring theme every year. I have already taken three vacations for the year and maxed out my travel budget. But, for Gokarna I don’t think I have the strength in me to say no because for me it’s a slice of heaven; a place in India where at any moment of time the density of human population is less than 100 per sq. km and a beach within reach. I actually volunteered to do the planning, that’s how exciting I was about going back there. I even planned an early trip home so that I can have my long Diwali weekend free.

As it happens with me most of the time, we couldn’t get confirmed tickets till the day before. I almost thought it wasn’t going to happen but then it did even though we had the crappiest seats on the train. None of us complained though. We were happy even though we were going to reach Karwar at 12 in the night check into a hotel for the night. We just wanted to get away from civilization and be beach bums even for a few days.

Gokarna has all the ingredients for a rousing good time: miles of wide blue sand, shacks with the best seafood fare and cold beer. And the best part no crowds! The shacks are cheap but they don’t shirk when it comes to keeping them clean. This is my perfect vacation spot. I don’t have to plan the day; don’t have to think about the things to do, places to see. All I have to do is get up, put on a swim suit and alternate between reading my kindle while sipping a cold one and floating in the sea the whole day.

Unlike the last time, we were here in season which meant most of the shacks were open. With the kind of crowd you get, you wouldn’t think that the food there would be so awesome. They had Israeli, German, French, India, Spanish delicacies on the menu. And it did help that swimming in ocean made me hungry. I think I have ODed on calamari and prawns can’t have them for the next one year. One dish deserves special mention: Banana Fritters. I think I had them for breakfast, lunch and dinner with snacks in between.

The beach was especially good this time because I learnt swimming since the last time I was here. I love it the feeling when I am floating. I can’t hear a thing and all I can see is the clear blue sky with birds flying. It’s this simple moment that made the vacation worth it. And it dint hurt that I get along with the people that I travel with or maybe I am getting old and much more mellow about these things.

For any lazy traveller Gokarna is the place to be, the perfect beach bum vacation to resuscitate your life. 


Comments

Popular Posts